Follow the journey of a mom in her mid-forties, as she hits the trail to try to get and stay healthy - mentally and physically!

Wednesday, May 28, 2014



We took Abby for her 16 month healthy baby check-up yesterday. On the drive into Toronto, Steve and I were talking about what we wanted to review with the pediatrician, getting our ducks in order as it were. (It's interesting to me how a kid's doctor's appointment can feel like parental report card time for so many of us!) The only real concern we had was Abby's weight. (I admit that the "chunky baby thighs" comment might have stuck with me.) We thought maybe she might be getting a little on the heavy side. We wondered whether we should cut back on the amount of fruit and dairy she's eating.

It turns out that at 23 pounds and 80 cms tall, she's right in the middle of the curve and, according to her doctor, "growing perfectly." It's funny how our perceptions can be so skewed. All babies grow and develop on their own timetable, and they come in all shapes and sizes. Abby is very active and has healthy adventurous appetite - two things that should have reassured us that she's on the right track. We know this. It isn't our first rodeo, but still we worried. Or rather, I worried. Steve said "She's fine."

Since before she was born, I've had a little voice in my head reminding me that I don't want her to have body or food issues. It's a two-sided coin that can easily become an obsession: I want her to be confident and self-assured regardless of her body, but I also want to help her to have a healthy body. I want her to care about and for her body, but not be focused on weight loss or calorie counting, and I pray she doesn't get caught up in the unattainable quest for "the perfect body". It's a fine balance between making conscious healthy choices, and developing good habits, without becoming obsessed.

I am aware that as she grows older, she will be watching,  listening, internalizing what I say and do when it comes to not only her body, but my own as well. I think that's going to be the hardest part for me. Poor body image and constant dieting are habits that have passed from my Grandmother to my mother and to myself. The legacy comes from good intentions, but I'd like the cycle of self-criticism to stop here.

My wise husband reminded me that I'm on the right track. (So did friends at a weekend BBQ, which I have to admit, felt REALLY good.) I'm taking care of myself by eating mostly healthy, exercising regularly and I'm making sure the rest of the family does the same. He's right, but when I look in the mirror I see the bumps and lumps and stretch marks. He stood in front of the mirror with me yesterday as we were getting ready to go, reminded me that those stretch marks come from carrying three babies. He then pointed out a couple of my most hated body parts (yes, hated, but I'm working on loving them) and showed me that "they're beautiful and strong". I love that man!

After her appointment was over, the three of us spent a little while walking around Greek Town, doing a little shopping and enjoying the summer-like weather. We had organic super fruit smoothies for lunch while we strolled, and a yummy stir-fry of fresh veggies and pork tenderloin for dinner after Jonas finished his homework. And then, just to make sure that we maintain our balanced approached, Steve and Jonas made us all homemade ice cream sundaes for dessert. YUM!

Thanks for helping me stay on-track!
BPJ

bacpacjac's Super Salad

This is one of my favourites! I have it a few times a week at work and often have it at home for dinner, with beef, pork or chicken. A friend brought a similar version to a BBQ this past weekend, and I'm having left-overs for lunch today.  I switch up the dressings, but generally prefer something tangy, like a nice ginger-sesame or citrus vinaigrette.


Ingredients:

Red leaf lettuce
Red Swiss Chard
Baby kale
Baby spinach
Bok choy
Broccoli
Cabbage (red and/or green)
Snap peas
Shredded carrots
Radish
Bean sprouts
Alfalfa sprouts
Peanuts
Cashews
Dried cranberries
Raisins
Blueberries (fresh or frozen)
Cheese (shredded or crumbled, whatever I have on-hand)


No comments:

Post a Comment